- 1 bunch beets,trimmed
- 2 cups malt vinegar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3 cups water
- 3 tablespoons California extra virgin olive oil
- 200g firm feta, crumbled
- ¼ cup baby mint leaves
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons California COOC-certified extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon superfine sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon ( you can also use chervil or fennel fronds in the same amount if preferred)
- To make the tarragon dressing, place the vinegar, extra virgin olive oil and sugar in a small bowl and stir until sugar is dissolved. Add the tarragon and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Place the beets, vinegar, sugar and water in a saucepan over high heat and bring to the boil. Cook for 20–25 minutes or until the beets are tender.
- Drain the beetroot and set aside to cool. Peel and thinly slice the beetroot using a mandolin slicer.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan over medium heat. Add feta and cook for 1–2 minutes or until golden and crisp. Drain on absorbent paper.
- Layer the beetroot on plates and top with the feta and mint.
- Top with the tarragon dressing to serve.